Vertical Driver's License Information
Click here for a PDF copy of this page.
What Form of Identification is NOT Acceptable?
Louisiana has a special ID for persons under 21. The license is designed to help you, the server, know that the person cannot purchase alcohol/tobacco products. This is the license of a person who is UNDER 21. This license is vertically oriented (UP AND DOWN)
Identification policies should be established to decrease the chance that a minor will be served alcohol or tobacco. These policies should include:
- Refusing to sell to persons without a valid ID
- Following set procedure when checking each ID
- Checking the expiration date of the ID
- Checking the birth date
- Checking the date the ID was issued
- Checking the photo or resemblance to the buyer
- Checking the ID of everyone at the bar or counter to ensure compliance with the age restrictions